Monday, April 27, 2020

KEEP ME WHERE THE LIGHT IS

For most the first Bible verse they remember learning is John 3:16. For me, the first Bible verse I remember learning is Psalm 119:105. "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." I remember my sister and I was at this day care on East North Street in Greenville SC that's not even there anymore. It was called Rocking Horse Daycare. One day they had this video in that was like a biblical music for kids. One song that stuck with me for some reason was a song based on Psalm 119:105. I had no idea what it meant at the time, but of all the songs that was on the video that was the song that left its imprint.

Another version of that verse says, "Your word is like a lamp that shows me the way. It is like a light that guides me." Joshua 1:8, "This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written there in; for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success." 

John Meyer penned this song called, "Gravity," and I came across a cover of that song from Clark Beckham and Yebba Smith. And the part of that song that stuck with me is where it says, "Keep me where the light is shining." An old hymn says, "Keep me on Your pathway Lord. I don't want to stumble, I don't want to fall."

Can I be honest? My prayer during most of this whole thing that we're going through has been, "Lord, keep me where the light is shining." With so much distractions from social media, to the news media, and from religious people, I just want to stay in the light. I just want to be found where light is shining bright. Old song says, "Shine on me. Let the light from the lighthouse shine on me." The thing about the lighthouse is the light has to be bright so that the boats in the sea can see where to go. If the light is dim, how can people see? If you're stopped by the police at night, those blue and red lights are bright for you to see that the cops want you to pull over. Some of us have allowed our light go dim and we don't even know it. We're trying to shine it in the midst of the darkness, and people can't even see it.

How can you know where to go when you can't see? It's hard to read a book while it's closed. A flashlight doesn't fulfill its purpose when it's turned off. Song writer said, "Whatever you do, don't let your light go out." Matthew 5:16, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." If your light is shining, sometimes you don't have to say a word. The reason why this can't just be a Sunday or Wednesday thing is because the people that need to see that light may not even walk in the sanctuary. They may be at the store. They may be at your job. They may be in your neighborhood. When I was a kid we sang a song based on Matthew 5:16. All my cogic kids know what I'm talking about. "Let it shine! Let it shine all over the world. Let it glorify the Lord."

Can I share something? I was watching this video and in it this guy said every where he walks he sees darkness, but somehow he knows there's a light. Keep me where the light is. I couldn't stop the tears from flowing down my face. That was a moment with God that I didn't know I needed. No shout music. No fabrication of what we have turned church into. It was just a simple message. I just want to be where the light is shining bright.

Stay Saved,

Daniel Richerson

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Comment one! Comment all!!