Sunday, April 22, 2012

My Prom night memories...


Cue Let Me Praise Him by Euclid Gray! Thanks for all the views on the last blog. I’m over 5000 all time! That’s amazing. Keep ‘em coming folks. As always follow me on Twitter @Big_Dusty and friend me on Facebook.com/bigdusty!

So it’s prom season. Looking on FaceBook, high school kids are posting their prom pictures. Hair and Nail Salons are booked solid. Guys are at the barber shop making sure they look tight for the night. Guys are making sure they have their breath mints. Girls are making sure their phones are charged up so they can get pictures that can last a life time!

Let’s take a trip back about 7 years. My prom night. Let’s get this out the way. My mind wasn’t right in high school. I hated school with a passion. I didn’t try in school. I got by. So anything school related was just to get out the house and say I went. Now most people for prom, they buy new suits that haven’t been wore before. Me? I wore a suit that I’ve worn to church dozens of times, and church shoes that were probably worn out. Most people have special cars they go in for prom…limos and such. Me? My dad drove me in a ’98 Toyota Camry. I’m not kidding. You may think, it doesn’t get worse. Well let’s go back before the Camry to the “prom pictures.” You know those pictures you take before you go to prom to show off what you are wearing to the dance. I couldn’t tell you where my prom pictures are now. The picture of the night? I took a picture with my dog at the time, Ginger, with her on a leash. I told y’all my mind set back in school was terrible.

So I got to the place after my dad dropped me off in the ’98 Toyota Camry. I saw all my classmates in their clean suits and clean dresses. I don’t remember exactly, but I can bet that my suit had dog hair all over it. Not only that, but I was dateless. Go figure. Also I was literally by myself…the whole night. The core group I usually hung with? Nowhere to be found. Possibly because one of them dropped out, two of them where not seniors…neither here nor there. I spent most of the night at prom walking around hoping someone would talk to me. Initiating the conversation? Me in high school? HA! No. I do remember looking at the dance floor thinking it was more of an orgy. I was never much of a dancer anyway. I left that stuff to my sister. She’s the dancer. To answer your question, I didn’t have that slow dance at prom. I think I remember I was asked to dance, but don’t quote me on that. Needless to say, I separated myself in high school, and believe me, 7 years later, I regret it. I truly do.

Now you talk to other people from the class of 2005 from Eastside High School, and they’ll probably tell you stories that they’ll never forget. Why? Cause they made the most of it. They knew that this was a moment in time that they would never get back. I figured that if I went that would be good enough. Not knowing that 7 years later, I’d be in my mom’s apartment near to tears thinking about a night that was supposed to be memorable, but I chose to make it a disaster.

Oooh! I forgot to talk about the after prom. Yes, I went to the after prom. Why? To said that I went, and that’s the truth. I went to the after prom which was at Frankie’s Fun Park. Again, I really have no memories of what happened at the after prom. Why? Cause I didn’t make the most of it. I let my hatred of school motivate me not to have a good time. Again not thinking that 7 years later, I regret it. Ask some of my classmates? They probably have fun memories. Great memories. Me? I was just there.

People say that they can say that they have no regrets. I’m not at that point yet. I will be, but that point is not now. In my last podcast, I made a declaration that I’m going to stop trying to please people. So I’m on my way to having no regrets. I’m not there yet….definitely not there yet.

Hope y’all enjoyed this read of my memories, or lack thereof. Do you remember your prom night? Was it magical? Did you have fun? My advice for this blog is basically, make the most of life. You never know what memories could’ve been if you don’t make them. If you don’t make the most of life, you’ll regret it and it will affect you. Believe me. I know for myself. I’m friends on FaceBook with my fellow classmates of 2005 people and I have no connection with them at all. Why? Cause I made it that way. It’s that simple. In 3 years, it will be 10 years since I graduated from High School. I plan to make the most of that night. So I won’t have any more regrets.

Stay Saved,

Daniel Richerson aka Big Dusty

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Comment one! Comment all!!