Thursday, February 23, 2017

HYMNS

I was talking with God before falling asleep and I started thinking about hymns. I hear it in church all the time. "It's nothing like those hymns." or "I go back to hymns because they had power." So, being the mark that I am, I started thinking about what exactly is a hymn? If you look at Ephesians 5:18-21, it says, "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God." Then you look at Colossians 3:16, "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your heats to the Lord." Donnie McClurkin had a 2 disc album called, "Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs" So again I ask the question, what is a hymn?

Webster defines a hymn as, "a song of praise to God." I do understand and realize that when the word hymn, our minds immediately go straight to the hymn book. Don't get me wrong, I love those old hymns. Those old songs are timeless. One of my all time favorites is Great Is Thy Faithfulness. So please don't get the idea that I'm burying those old songs. All I'm saying is that just because it's not in the hymn book, doesn't make it any less powerful. Personally, a lot of songs NOT in the hymn book have spoken to me. He's Able by Deitrick Haddon. It Could Be Worse by James Fortune. Made A Way by Larry Trotter, and not just because I used to sing lead on it. God Is by Dewayne Woods, again not just because I used to sing lead on it. Alpha and Omega, as sung by Israel and New Breed. Smile by Kirk Franklin.

I'm sure who ever is reading this, have songs not in the COGIC hymn book or what ever denomination you are in that have ministered to you. "...singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;" Another song I love that has been sung in churches all around that's called, "Sound of Praise" as sung by Larry Trotter. Song says, "There is a sound that is pleasing to His ear. A sound of praises lifting into the atmosphere. Every time you lift your voice, you need to know. Jesus loves to hear the sound of praise. Hallelujah the sound, He loves to hear."

I do agree that some of these new songs that play on radio is not the most church friendly type songs, but that doesn't make them bad songs. By church friendly, I mean, it's not the taste of music by the majority of the older members. Because we want the lyrics to talk about Jesus, but the music has to be what we like or it's not right. That's about how it is in the mind of some people. If the music doesn't sound like all the older songs, It's not gospel. It's not just the lyrics. It's the music. So when Christian rappers rap lyrics about Jesus, it's bad because the music doesn't match Jesus I Never Forget. Sigh.


Stay Saved,

Daniel Richerson

P.S. Yes, I was contemplating quitting these blogs, but as Steve Harvey once said, "He's not through with me yet." Keep praying for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Comment one! Comment all!!