Tuesday, February 09, 2016

THEN WHAT?

It's black history month. We just had a Superbowl. Beyonce performed during the halftime, which always brings from controversy. Cam Newton has everybody up in arms over how he handled the post game conference. I got my own issues to worry about other than commenting on other people's issues. So I'll just leave the criticisms to youth leaders and ESPN.

Anyway, I was driving to get my medicine. To whom it may concern, yes I'm taking my medicine like I'm supposed to. So as I was driving, I was talking to myself about people that are marks for themselves. Ones that like to use cliches to get themselves over with the churchy crowd while in between the cliches, aren't saying anything at all. At some point it has to be more than what you say. Everybody is a Christian now. So it's like then what? What are you doing? I've been hearing this verse a lot in Sunday School, even if it doesn't pertain to the lesson:

Matthew 7:20 "Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them."

That tells me it's more than what you say, it's what you do. I believe being "saved by grace" is more than who you are, is what you do. Even outside the 4 walls of the church. Matthew 7:15 "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." Don't be fooled by the suit and the word play. Then what? What are they doing past the suit and fancy word play?

There's a old song that says, "To be like Jesus, oh how I long to be like Him." Yeah? When I was growing up we had, W.W.J.D. bracelets, If you don't remember, W.W.J.D. stood for What Would Jesus Do? My aunt gave me one and told me before I made a decision think, what would Jesus do, but what if i think it and still choose to do what I usually do? There's a lot of folks out there that look like gang members, but lack the capacity to be one. A lot of people like to wear the uniform but not live what the uniform stands for. Ouch.

There's a lot of people that can quote the bible, but then what? Don't get me wrong, I realize that if God can use a donkey, he can use anyone or anything he wants, but I'm speaking towards the individual. James 1:22, "But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves." This is something I'm still working on. Just keeping it one hundred.

All I'm saying is this has to be lived not just said. I quote Jason Crabb who posted on Facebook, and said, "Let your life preach more loudly than your lips." The way you live is important. It is more than what you say. Matthew 7:21-23, Jesus said,  "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." So that tells me that some will say that they're a Christian, and at the same time still trying to live any kind of way. Your motives are important also. What are your motives for what you do in church? Do you follow that spirit or emotion? Do you speak in tongues with the spirit gives utterance or when the emotion gives utterance? Then what? Y'all pray for me.

Stay Saved,

Daniel Richerson

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Comment one! Comment all!!