Thursday, December 30, 2010

The "N-Word..."

So a few days ago on Twitter, there was a debate or "healthy conversation" about the word nigger, or what some people call, "the n-word." Brian White, an actor that was in Stomp The Yard and I Can Do Bad All Myself, was retweeting responses on the issue. So here's what I said:

"the whole nigger, nigga, or "N-Word" debate is a to each his own debate, in my opinion."

Low and behold, Brian White responded:

"It is systemic, no? A global issue. Look on FB right now and view 16-20 year old Asian; Latino teens using it with each other - no Black kids in sight. WTH? So basically, we intended to embrace the word so it hurt less; in theory, elevate & empower ourselves by changing its meaning...But the real net result is that all races descended to embrace that awful word; use it among their own as it is used in hip-hop."

Brian wasn't the only one that wanted to jump in. A lady named Dawn jumped in with this:

"Mos def systemic! Not just "to each his own"

Ok, let me explain something. As some of you know, I spent about 6 months in the midwest. Just about every day of my stay up there, I heard black folks use the word, "nigga" as if it was everyday vocab. During my whole life time, I've heard preacher after preacher use, "nigga." Saved, sanctified, holy ghost filled...preachers. Now the Bible talks about how we can't judge somebody on if they're saved or not. I can't judge somebody on their salvation. That's between them and the Lord. So, I'll say it again, and you can disagree with me if you want, it IS a to each his own debate.

Now let me say this. Nigger is a racial term and I understand that. It is offensive to some people. Some people have stopped using this "offensive word." Yet they still cuss. So it's ok to cuss someone out but it's not ok to call them a racial term? I didn't do well in school, but even I know that something ain't right with that equation. I believe that if you can stop saying nigger, you can stop cussing all together. But don't tell me a word is wrong when you're liable to cuss somebody out for looking at you cross-eyed. A sin is a what? Sin. So that means what ever the sin is, it's what? Wrong. So being a racist and/or being a cusser is what? Wrong. Or am I wrong? You tell me.

And another thing. What makes nigga so special that it gets to be called the "n-word?" Like it's the only word in dictionary that begins with the letter "n." Nine, number, next, nucleus, neighbor, neighborhood, neck, nasty, nosy, noise, nose...I think you get my point. I was just wondering.

Remember before any of you go in on me, this is my blog, and my opinion.

Share your thoughts. I'd love to read and respond to them. Twitter and Facebook is on the right. Youtube is DanielakaBigd.

Stay Saved,

Daniel Richerson

6 comments:

  1. AS anyone you are entitled to an opinion, no matter how irrational it may be and when it comes to Blacks who use the n-word their reasoning is always irrational and clearly you are no exception.

    Perhaps the one rationale about you that can be pointed out is your willingness to debate the issue which is a good thing. I would love to debate the following article with you, whether it is here or on Twitter @thescoop1

    Here is the article:

    http://www.3lr.us/vv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know. I don't use the N-Word. I don't say it much if not at all. Be careful how you assume people, sir. I don't want to have a debate, but I will discuss. My mom pointed out something to me that said, just because everybody does it, doesn't make it right. Mind you this was after I posted this blog. I was just saying that I was around people using the word for 6 months. I don't care who you are, or how powerful you think you are. If you're around something long enough, some of it rubs off on you. So yes, occasionally, the word slips out of my mouth.

    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. Use of the n-word by blacks isn't an issue of right or wrong, sinful or not, it is an issue of liberating ourselves from that word after more than almost 400 years of being enslaved to it.

    What I'm getting from your blog is that you seem to be trying to avoid taking a stand against the use of the word one way or another. If you don't stand for something then you'll fall for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're talking about taking a stand against racism, I'm with you all the way. What I said is don't cuss me out then get offended if I use the N-Word. To me that's a double standard. Now, as far as "taking a stand against using the word nigger." Paul Mooney did that, and is still liable to cuss you out. Brian White did that and cusses in all his movies. Isn't cussing offensive? Doesn't cussing rub people the wrong way? Doesn't cussing cause fights? Now, let's look at "nigger". Offensive? check. rub people the wrong way? check. Causes riots, which causes fights? check.

    So I agree that nigger is a bad word. Yes I'm saying nigger because I hate using "N-word." As you probably read in the blog. But if one of my old friends from middle/high school come to me and say, "What's up my nigga?" I'm not going to look like an idiot and say, "Sir, how dare you call me that digrogitory name in an establishment like this. Don't you know the history..." That would waste his time and mine.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seem to want to bring up issues that isn't pertinent to what the main concern is about the n-word. Racism, cussin are issues unto themselves. Racism as you have implied you are willing to tackle in a New York second. On the other hand when it comes to mental enslavement and the n-word it is of no importance to you.

    Everybody, including yourself seems to want to duck and dodge what this is really all about. Few African Americans, seem to understand the history behind the n-word, and though many of you say you do understand you really don't; and this is determined by the mindset you exhibit relative to the word.

    I recommended an article for you to read, giving you and opportunity to critique it same as I am doing yours. So far you have yet to take me up on it.

    Bottom line, mental enslavement is not a joke and any African American's use of the terminology, insofar, as embracing it in an endearing manner symbolizes an 18th century mentality which is a link to mental enslavement and needs to be eradicated.

    Though you may seldom use the word yourself, you still are refusing to take a stand one way or another. An African American who reads your blog isn't going to get the idea that it is an act they should refrain from doing, the only thing they will get out of the blog is mixed signals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This conversation is over. You have your opinion I have mine. I welcome all who want to comment and join in the conversation. As for me, i've stated my opinion and I stand by it. this blog was written in 2010. It it's now 2011...so I'm done. God bless.

    Stay Saved

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Comment one! Comment all!!