Thursday, April 22, 2010

I'm still laughing...HAHA!!

Well, folks. I watched a couple of videos debating Kirk Franklin's appearance in the Monique Show about a month ago. One guy got offended that Kirk Franklin was laughing at Monique's jokes which happened to have some cussing in it. Ok, so you're judging a man laughing at something that's funny to him? So am I wrong for laughing at Dave Chappelle? Dave is one of the vulgar dudes out there, and yet I consider him one of my favorite comedians. Family Guy. I love Family Guy. Do they go to far with the Jesus jokes? Yeah they do, but I'd be lying to say that when I'm watching the show and I hear or see something funny, I'm not laughing. Look, if you're like me, funny is funny. I see something funny, I'm going to laugh. Weather it's a joke with a punchline, or if I see somebody slip going up or down the stairs. Now, can I be honest with you people? Most of the so called "clean-Christian" comedians and tv shows are corny. Yes I said it. Some of those shows are dry and corny. I know what some of you are saying. Ephesians 4:29 "Stop all dirty talk. Say the right thing at the right time and help others by what you say." Trust me, I understand. That happens to be one of my favorite verses in the Bible. Now do I think Monique is funny? HECK NAH! I've always thought, and I still do, that Monique is corny. She's never been funny to me. Now like I said before, I like Dave Chappelle. When it comes to vulgarity, Monique and Dave are right there at the same page. So I can't judge Kirk for laughing at Monique. Kirk and I got something in common. We both love music, and we both are clowns. So Kirk laughing at Monique is not surprising. Who am I to say what Kirk is supposed to laugh at? Some of us need to laugh.

Now another thing that people are tripping off of is the fact that Kirk is "conforming." Because Kirk went on a show like the Monique show and laughing at her "vulgar" jokes, he's conforming. Ok. Oh btw, Marvin Sapp was on Good Morning America, and Fred Hammond was on the View. I guess they were conforming too. This guy got on Kirk saying that he was on the Monique show just to sell his CD. Are you faulting the man for that? Yes, Gospel music is a ministry first. But it's still a business. The man gotz to get paid, sir. I know I know, "It's not about money, It's not about fame..." Yes, I like that song, too. But you cannot tell me that if you were in Kirk's shoes, you wouldn't take the opportunity and present your music to the world by going on a "secular" show like the Monique that gets millions of viewers for a chance to sell music. Don't sit there and lie with your religious self. Please don't get me wrong. Romans 12:2 "Don't be like the people of this world, but let God change the way you think. Then you will know how to do everything that is good and pleasing to him."

Now I agree with one lady who said that today's Gospel Artist need to get more serious with the Gospel part of the music. I agree whole heartedly. But I'm not going to question ones faith for going on a show and laughing at the jokes. Yes cussing is wrong, but that's what Monique does. That's what Jay Leno, David Letterman, and all them do. Cuss. Yet you've seen the Clark Sister's, Kirk Franklin, and others perform on those type of shows. Now let me throw this in, just because it doesn't reach you doesn't mean it's not reaching people. Stop trying to base facts on how you feel. Me personally, I cannot stand "God In Me" by Mary Mary. I think it's garbage. Now just because it didn't reach me, doesn't mean it didn't reach you.

What am I saying? Just because you can't watch shows like Family Guy and laugh, and I can, doesn't mean you're more saved than I am. We're not all going to like the same music, tv shows, etc. I know some church folk that can't stand Tyler Perry. Yet, I know some church folk that love Tyler Perry. Tyler cusses. He does. But for me to criticize him for cussing, something I used to do a lot, would be foolish. Me to judge his salvation would put me out of place. Tomorrow night as a matter of fact, Mom and I are going to see his latest play, "Madea's Big Happy Family." I'm expecting a great time. Am I going to laugh at jokes that might have some cussing in it? If it's funny, yes I am. Sue me.

Stay Saved,

Daniel Richerson

P.S. Just an update from the blog, It's Over. I am going back to SC, but only for 3 weeks, then I'm going to spend some time in Kentucky. Where am I going to end up? I'm hoping it's back in Collinsville. But it's God's will, not mine. Continue to pray for me.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this and I agree with you 100% on everything that you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting read

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you checked it out

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Comment one! Comment all!!