Thursday, January 20, 2022

For my dad...

I don't know how to go into this post. I've tried and tried many times to get something typed...just so I could get my thoughts out. My dad is gone. Like forreal. I mentioned in the last post that a love one situation got worse, I was talking about my dad while at the same time now trying to say it verbatim...ly? I just landed in  Kentucky to see my family and to see my dad, only to get the news that Dad was gone. Initial reaction was I didn't know how to react. I didn't even freak out. I was numb. I was already numb at that point anyway because it felt like dad's situation kept getting worse. In the back of my mind I probably knew that it was coming, but you can flinch before a punch comes, the punch will still hurt. 

I truly believe my dad's the reason I'm a fan of comedy. He introduced me to The Three Stooges, Abbot and Costello, Don Rickles, Dean Martin, Red Buttons, Foster Brooks, WC Fields, Milton Berle, Ruth Buzzi, Rowan and Martin, Jerry Lewis, and many more. His love for music had a big influence on me also from The Beatles, Elvis, Hendrix, Temptations, Diana Ross and The Supremes, Stevie Wonder, Otis Redding, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, and a lot more from the 50s and 60s. Also professional wrestling. I actually got that from both sides of the family. Dad was a major influence on that. He took my sister and I the only major wrestling promotion show I've ever been. WCW Nitro at what was then known as the Bi-Lo Center January 3, 2000 (thank you google).

I can imagine Dad walking into the throne room sitting on the lap of God. Walking The streets of Gold with no more pain. No more struggle. Going fishing with my late Grandpa and others. I can imagine Him walking in and being greeted by his mother and sister. Dad was never a dancer here on Earth as far as I know. I bet he has a dance now. I can only imagine the conversation between he and the pastors that transitioned before him. Dad wasn't much of a singer...as a matter of fact not at all. This is his word, "I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket with a lid on it." Bless his heart. He was right though. I imagine he's making a joyful noise now. 

Being surrounded by family and dogs have really helped me. The phone calls, texts, messages, thoughts, and prayers have not gone unnoticed. I know I will have to reach out to someone. I will say this if I don't reach out, don't give up on me, please. I know thoughts and prayers have become cliche, but I promise you it's working. I know mentally this is going to take a toil on me. In a way it already has. I mean, I lost my dad. He wasn't perfect, but what father other than God is? We would check on each other via text to see how each other was doing. He knew I was a Tampa Bay fan and would text me when Tampa won. He'd read the blogs and give me feedback on them. We both went through hard times together. I believe we both came out better because of it. I'll miss him very much.

Stay saved,

Daniel Richerson

1 comment:

  1. We will not give up on you MOG!!! Though it may seem dim there is a torch you have to carry that will bring revelation and hope to others
    Love Pastor and Lady C

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Comment one! Comment all!!